Top 4 Benefits of Installing Artificial Grass in Playgrounds and Children’s Play Areas
As playgrounds and children’s play areas continue to gain popularity, more and more people are looking for ways to make them safer and more enjoyable. One way to do this is by installing artificial grass, which can offer many benefits over natural grass. This article will explore the benefits of artificial grass in playgrounds and children’s play areas.
If you’re a parent, you know just how important playgrounds are for kids. Children one year and up often use play areas for exploration, friend-making, games, and building gross motor skills such as climbing, jumping, and swinging. For these reasons, it’s crucial for construction companies, city planners, and neighborhood committees to choose the right materials for the layout and composition of a playground.
As one of the most versatile outdoor materials on the market, turf is an excellent addition to any playground. Below are a few reasons to consider using turf in a playground design. Take a look!
When you’re designing a space for kids, safety always comes first. Artificial turf looks and feels like natural grass but has outstanding perks, such as being water-resistant and wheelchair-accessible since it does not create muddy conditions. This creates more inclusive environments.
It also provides good traction to prevent unnecessary falls. Unlike dirt, wood chips, or sand, there’s also no risk of small children ingesting it accidentally and possibly choking. Bonus? Artificial turf is much cheaper and looks much more natural than rubber!
One of the artificial grass’s most important benefits is its added safety in play areas. Here are some ways in which artificial grass can help improve safety:
- Soft Landing: Artificial grass provides a cushioned landing for children if they fall, which can help prevent injuries. An ideal ground cover reduces the impact of a fall by absorbing the shock. Based on those requirements, natural grass is not an appropriate ground cover for playgrounds. Instead, artificial turf covers all safety regulations without sacrificing the natural beauty of grass.
Likewise, kids can roll about and play on the synthetic turf without getting pieces of grass on their skin or becoming itchy.
- No Pests: Artificial grass does not attract pests like natural grass does. This helps to reduce the risk of children being bitten or stung while playing.
- No Chemicals: Artificial grass doesn’t require the use of chemicals such as pesticides or fertilizers, which can be harmful to children. This creates a much safer environment for children to learn and play in.
- Better for Allergy Sufferers: The pollen released into the air by grass can be allergic to some adults and children, causing conditions such as hay fever or allergic rhinitis. Artificial turf doesn’t require mowing, so there will be less pollen for children to breathe in, reducing the effects on allergy sufferers.
Another key benefit of artificial grass is its durability. Here are some ways in which artificial grass can provide long-lasting benefits:
- Withstands Heavy Use: Artificial grass can withstand heavy use from children without showing signs of wear and tear. This means that it will last longer than natural grass.
- Low Maintenance: Artificial grass requires little to no maintenance, which can save time and money compared to natural grass. This can be great for institutions like schools or kindergartens that spend on gardeners, lawnmowers, sprinklers, etc.
- Artificial grass isn’t affected by snow or freezing rain: That saves the city money because it does not have to be re-sod every year. High-quality artificial turf correctly installed will last up to 15 to 20 years. Once installed, you don’t need any special equipment besides a broom or a leaf blower. If you want to, take a look at the artificial grass of Royal Turf & Ivy or check his Instagram page.
- Resilient to Weather: Artificial grass is resilient to all weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, heavy rainfall, and drought. This means that it can be used year-round without any problems.
While natural grass can quickly form slippery waterholes and mud hollows, turf is water-resistant. It provides a safe, reliable non-slip surface for water play. Kids will love playing on artificial grass, as it’s just as soft as the real!
Artificial grass can also enhance the aesthetic appeal of playgrounds and children’s play areas. Here are some ways in which artificial grass can improve the look of a play area:
- Always Looks Green: Artificial grass always looks green and lush, regardless of the season. This helps create a more inviting and visually appealing play area. You can request a free sample of artificial grass from here.
- Uniform Look: Artificial grass creates a uniform look, which can help make the play area more organized and put together. It also has the same color and texture as grass, connecting children to nature.
- Customizable: Artificial grass can be cut to fit any space, which means that it can be customized to fit the unique needs of a particular play area.
Finally, artificial grass offers many environmental benefits that can help make it a more sustainable option for playgrounds and children’s play areas. Here are some ways in which artificial grass can benefit the environment:
- Water Conservation: Artificial grass does not require watering, which can help to conserve water resources. Playground artificial grass uses fewer resources because it requires low maintenance. Irrigating the turf doesn’t need water and always looks green and healthy!
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Artificial grass doesn’t require mowing or other maintenance activities that produce carbon emissions, which makes it a more environmentally friendly option.
- Reduces Waste: Artificial grass can be recycled at the end of its life, which helps to reduce waste and minimize environmental impact. It also saves on costs in the long term, which means more funds will be available for other environmental projects.
A Great Alternative To Sand, Dirt, and Grass
Many playgrounds feature a central sandpit or use sand in the surrounding areas. While sand can be fun for kids to play in, it may be challenging for parents: it’s tough to clean up and unsafe for small children who may try to eat the sand. Another issue with natural grass playgrounds is the dirty stains on your children’s clothes.
While real grass requires many maintenance hours, artificial turf fields require no watering, fertilizing, weeding, or mowing. This saves lots of time and money for playground owners, but also it saves costs for the city or community since they will have to spend less money on new grass and maintenance costs (staff, equipment, etc.)
There are many other popular playground materials (rubber mulch, engineered wood fibers, and pea gravel, to name a few). Still, artificial turf outshines all these options in both cost and practicality. It provides added safety, durability, aesthetic appeal, and environmental sustainability compared to natural grass.
Brazilian Lumber offers the best options for installing artificial grass to ensure children a safe and enjoyable play area. Visit our selection of artificial turf & ivy and choose your favorite. Our team will be happy to help you and answer all your questions. Do not hesitate to contact us!
If you are a parent, consider artificial turf installation for your child’s next playground!
Leave a reply